I have to apologize to you for not sharing a gluten, egg and dairy free biscuit recipe until now. What is wrong with me? I don’t know why I waited so long to get this recipe just right for you. I’ve tried quite a few biscuit recipes, but none of them were the right texture. Light, tender crumb. This time, I added additional cornstarch and the perfect ratio of organic shortening and vegan butter. That did the trick!
Biscuits in the morning. Biscuits in the evening. You can have biscuits anytime. I like mine warm and smothered in strawberry jam. Either with my cup of coffee in the morning or as a late night snack. They MUST be warm though. Total must. You can make these gluten free vegan biscuits ahead of time and reheat in the oven. I don’t know if you’ll have any leftovers with these biscuits. Fresh out of the oven, they are irresistible!
- 2 cups Sarah's gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons organic non-hydrogenated shortening, chilled
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, chilled
- 1 cup So Delicious unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- additional tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare baking pan by lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add chilled shortening and vegan butter. Using pastry cutter, cut in shortening and butter until small pieces remain.
- Mix together coconut milk and vinegar in small bowl, then pour over flour mixture. Gently blend dough until just comes together.
- On floured surface, place biscuit dough. Gently flatten with floured hands until about 1 inch thick. Using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits. Place on prepared baking pan (making sure biscuits are touching). Press dough scraps together into 1 inch thick and cut into additional biscuits.
- Brush tops of biscuits with melted vegan butter. Bake 15-17 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool slightly on cooling rack.
- Serve warm.To reheat biscuits, wrap in foil and place in 300 degree oven for 10 minutes.