“Mom, can I please have a snack?” “I’m hungry.” These are statements I hear pretty much all day long from my kids. Always hungry, always wanting a snack. Their little bodies are growing nonstop. Between meals, I do my best to offer healthy options for them to munch on. Fresh fruit, cheese, gluten free pretzels, nuts, smoothies. Just to keep their bellies happy until the next meal.
I sometimes become super mom (in their eyes) and make these no-bake energy bites. Really, I think the only they like them so much is because I add those tiny chocolate chips. I sneak in tons of good stuff in these little bites. They’ve got 3 sources of protein from the nut butter, almond meal and hemp hearts. Hemp hearts are my new favorite. Great nutty flavor and texture. They’re also a great source of protein, iron and omega fatty acids. They are just shelled hemp seeds, but they sure pack a punch!
I store my gluten free no-bake energy bites in the fridge. Keeps them cold and they are even more satisfying on these hot summer days. A healthy, feel-good treat you can sneak (snack on) throughout the day!
- 1 cup certified gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup natural peanut or almond butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- In large mixing bowl, sift together oats, almond meal and help hearts.
- In separate bowl, mix together peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract, until smooth and creamy. Pour over oat mixture. Add chocolate chips and stir until all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Scoop and roll mixture into 1-inch balls. Place in airtight container and refrigerate for a cold snack.