I like my waffles crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. It’s the perfect combination. Served piping hot, with a little Earth Balance buttery spread and pure maple syrup. No high-fructose, fake stuff. That’s a big no-no in our house. It’s all about the real deal. I also enjoy a little fresh fruit on top of my waffles. Strawberries, blueberries, bananas. What do you fancy?
In the past few months, I’ve tried to make countless waffle recipes gluten, egg, and dairy free with no such luck. So many failed attempts. The texture was off. They didn’t cook right. I was about to give up, but they are my husbands favorite and he was missing his waffles. We own this amazing waffle maker too. I said I was close to giving up…but I’m so glad I didn’t! I finally came up with a recipe that works and tastes pretty amazing. This batch makes about 4 Belgian-style waffles, which are pretty big. My kids usually share one. You may get more waffles, depending on your waffle iron.
Here is to gluten, egg and dairy free waffles that your whole family will LOVE!
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside flour mixture.
- Add coconut milk, melted vegan butter and vanilla. Stir until just combined.
- Heat your waffle iron. Spray with cooking spray and pour batter into waffle maker (amount varies by iron). Leave 1-inch border on all sides.
- Close iron. Cook until waffles are crispy and golden brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Serve nice and hot!
- *You can use 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil in place of the vegan butter.