School has officially been in session for 4 weeks. My mornings aren’t any less crazy then they were on the first day. I’m still getting in my groove of getting everyone out the door by 7:45. Still seems so early to me. Can’t I just sleep for 20 more minutes? Please?
I need a boost of energy in the morning to get me through my day, whether it’s with a cup of coffee or a nutrient-dense smoothie. Just depends on what I’m craving. When I go for the smoothie, I like ’em full of greens. Handfuls of spinach or kale. The greener, the better.
This is my FAVE green smoothie! I just love the combination of the fruits and veggies. Lots of fresh spinach, strawberries and banana. Creaminess from the almond milk and a little orange juice for brightness. Trust me, this smoothie is a great way start to your day. It would also make a fantastic after-school snack for the kiddos!
- 2 cups packed organic spinach leaves
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 6-8 ice cubes
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup orange and apple juice
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Place spinach, strawberries, banana, ice, almond milk, orange juice and maple syrup in high-powered blender.
- Blend on high 1-2 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Add additional almond milk if needed.
- Pour into glasses and serve.