Pie makes the world a better a place. Don’t you agree? I mean, really, who doesn’t love a piece of pie? Berry pie or chocolate cream pie or good ol’ apple pie. One dessert I will never turn down, unless it isn’t gluten free of course.
Some folks are intimidated by pie. I guess I should say, they are intimidated by the process of making pie. Well, if that’s you, this is the recipe you’ve been waiting for! I give you the rustic berry pie. It’s pretty much foolproof as it doesn’t have to be perfect by any means. It also happens to be free of the top 8 allergens. Filled with 3 kinds of fresh berries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. All piled into a rustic gluten free vegan pie crust. Baked until golden brown and bubbly. The ONLY way to enjoy this berry pie is with a huge scoop of So Delicious vanilla coconut milk ice cream. A total must!
- 1 1/2 cups Sarah's gluten free flour blend
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan butter, cold
- 3 tablespoons non-hydrogenated shortening
- 4-6 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon raw turbinado sugar
- Sift together flour blend, sugar and salt. Add vegan butter and shortening. Using pastry cutter, combine ingredients until resembles a course meal.
- Pour in 4 tablespoons cold water. Continue to blend until dough comes together (add another tablespoon of water if needed).
- Pat dough into round disc, wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for an hour or until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line large baking sheet or baking stone with parchment paper.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest. Add raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. Gently toss berries to coast in sugar mixture. Set aside.
- Place dough onto large piece of plastic wrap and top with another piece of plastic wrap. Roll out until 1/4-inch thick circle.
- Remove plastic wrap and place dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Top dough with berry mixture, leaving a 2-inch edge around berries. Fold edge of dough over berries, crimping as needed.
- Brush dough with coconut milk and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake pie for 20-25 minutes, until crust is golden brown and berries are bubbling (may need to cook longer if using frozen berries).
- Let pie cool 30 minutes to an hour. Slice and serve with vanilla coconut milk ice cream.
Could I sub regular ap flour?
Can I substitute for the coconut milk, I'm allergic. Can I use truvia instead of sugar?
Megan @ A Dash of Megnut says
Yum! This looks delicious!!