I love making muffins. They just make my heart happy. I don’t really have an all-time favorite muffin because I love them all. Chocolate zucchini, pumpkin spice, banana chocolate chip or lemon blueberry. Some say they are just a cupcake that you get to eat for breakfast. I’m good with that.
Working with all of the Bob’s Red Mill baking products has been such a treat! I’ve been getting packages in the mail with some of their goodies, just waiting to be used in a new recipe. I recently received a few bags of their unsweetened shredded coconut. Mmmmmm. I know some people can’t stand the texture. Yeah, I’m not one of them. I love all things coconut!
I’d like you all to say good morning to the carrot coconut morning glory muffin! It’s beautiful, isn’t it? A gluten free vegan muffin, filled with grated carrots, shredded coconut, cinnamon and walnuts. They are also topped with a simple orange glaze and a sprinkle of toasted coconut. Glorious frosted muffins. These will surely brighten your day!
- 1 3/4 cups Sarah's gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup So Delicious unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1/3 cup canola or sunflower seed oil
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Sift together flour blend, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together coconut milk, oil, brown sugar, maple syrup, applesauce, orange juice and vanilla extract. Mix in shredded carrots.
- Slowly add flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in coconut and walnuts.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Place muffins on cooling rack and cool completely.
- While muffins are cooling, toast coconut. Place 3 tablespoons coconut in even layer on cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes, until just golden brown. Cool and set aside.
- To make orange glaze, whisk together powdered sugar with orange juice, melted butter and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with glaze and top with toasted coconut. Best enjoyed within 1-2 days.