The day before Thanksgiving. You know where you’ll find me…in the kitchen. It’s the day for baking, baking and more baking. I don’t mind. It’s my happy place. Creating gluten, egg and diary free treats for my family to enjoy. Pumpkin pie is first, then usually a grab-n-go treat for the kids. This year I mades these cinnamon roll sugar cookies. I always bring enough to share, even though my husband would love to keep the pumpkin pie all to himself.
It’s a must for me to keep a generous supply of frozen cranberries this time of year. I like to add them to apple pies, pumpkin bread, apple muffins or make a filling for these crumb bars. Aren’t they lovely? That deep, maroon red from the cranberries is simply stunning. They almost have the taste of juicy cherries too. A little tart, a little sweet. The freshly squeezed orange juice (I used mandarin juice) adds such a brightness. Enjoy these bars by the slice or with a scoop of coconut milk ice cream. Either way, you’ll want to keep your freezer stocked with cranberries too. Add a little zing to your Thanksgiving with these gluten free vegan cranberry crumb bars!
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) cranberries
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange or mandarin juice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple sryup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca starch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 8x8-inch baking pan by lining with parchment paper or spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, mix together sugar, orange juice, maple syrup and cornstarch. Stir until creamy. Add cranberries and gently mix to coat. Set aside.
- For crumb crust/topping, sift together flour, oats, brown sugar, sugar and salt. Add coconut oil, maple syrup and coconut milk. Blend with fork until ingredients are well mixed.
- Spread 2/3 of oat mixture into prepared pan. Press evenly into bottom of pan. Top with even layer of cranberry mixture. Sprinkle remaining oat crumble over cranberries.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cranberries are bubbly and crumble is golden brown. Allow to cool in pan. Slice and serve.