Let’s talk about oats. If you have celiac disease, you can’t just go out and buy the standard rolled oats. You see, just about all oats are manufactured alongside wheat and so there is pretty much a guarantee that there is cross-contamination. When oats are grown in the field, they don’t contain any gluten…it just gets mixed in when they are processed. Big bummer. So in our house, we only cook with certified gluten free oats. They do cost a bit more, but we sure can’t live without steal cut oatmeal on cold winter mornings, fresh baked oatmeal cookies, or crunchy, nutty granola!
gluten free nutty granola
- 5 cups certified gluten free rolled oats (I like Trader Joe’s gluten free oats)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Recipe adapted from my dear friend, Carmen.