gluten free vegan everyday bread

One of my fondest memories growing up was the smell of my mom’s homemade bread. She baked bread all the time and the smell was intoxicating. Is there anything sweeter than the smell of a loaf of yeast bread, baking in the oven? We could never wait until it was cooled off to take a bite either. Warm, golden bread. Slathered with butter. Nothing more simple, yet nothing more satisfying.

In our house, as much as we all love bread, we just don’t eat it nearly as much. We’ve been gluten free for almost 4 years now. Bread has just become a treat, especially homemade bread. It makes it that much more of a treat. I know how much my kids go crazy for homemade bread (my husband even more so) and that’s why I try to make it every once in awhile. Baking. It’s my love language.

I’m calling this the “everyday bread” because you really could eat it everyday! It’s great for sandwiches or to serve alongside a bowl of hot soup. We had friends over for dinner and enjoyed slices of this hearty bread with our meal. It reminds me of a good whole-wheat bread, but without that deadly wheat. It’s doesn’t dry out either. Even after a few days. The top is nice and crusty. Mmmmm. I wish the loaf wasn’t already gone. I could go for another slice right about now, topped with some strawberry jam. My kind of snack.

gluten free vegan everyday bread

• 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1/3 cup ground chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey
  • 2 tablespoons certified gluten free rolled oats

Prepare 9×5 loaf pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray or lining with parchment paper. In medium bowl, whisk together warm water, warm coconut milk, yeast and sugar. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to proof and become foamy. While yeast is activating, sift together flour blend, oat flour, cornmeal and salt in large bowl of standing mixer.

When yeast is ready, add ground chia seeds, ground flaxseeds, oil and maple syrup to yeast mixture. Stir and let sit 2-3 minutes, until it has thickened. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and mix on low. When flour is completely incorporated, continue to mix on medium-speed for 2 minutes.

Scoop bread dough into prepared loaf pan. Smooth out dough with rubber spatula or wet fingers.  Sprinkle top of dough with oats. Cover with damp cloth and let rise for about an hour or until dough has risen to top of pan. When dough is almost ready, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place water bath on lower rack in oven (I filled an 8×8-inch baking dish halfway with water). Place bread in oven on middle rack and bake for 45-50 minutes.

Remove bread from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing bread from pan. Allow to cool for about an hour before cutting (it will be too gummy if you cut it too soon).  Once cooled, slice and serve. Store in ziploc bag or air-tight container.

*To make oat flour, just place 1 cup gluten free oats in a blender/food processor and blend for a couple minutes until you have oat flour.

Comments

1. says

Sarah – I've been making your other oatmeal bread quite often and love it but now I'm excited to make this one!!! I have to have bread every.single.day. thank you so much for this recipe – I'm going to give it a whirl!!!

2. says

What function does the ground chia seed serve? I don't have any and would love to make this right now or soon and the Chia is not in our budget right now! Could I sub something for it? It is like Flaxseed for binding as an egg replacer?? Could I use more flax? That I do have!
    Thanks!

• says

The chia seeds act as the egg replacer, but also adds elasticity to the bread. I'm never used more flaxseed in place of the chia, but it would be worth a try. I'm just not certain of the consistency you will get in the final product.

3. Anonymous says

I have been cooking/baking GF for 20 years and swear by Betty Hagman's bread recipes. I tried yours yesterday, and it was FANTASTIC! I had GF Oat flour, but ran about 1/8 cup short! So, I substituted the remainder for teff flour. Used coarse grain corn meal, too (for added texture). It was a beautiful loaf and absolutely delicious! My husband was literally standing around the bread waiting for it to cool so he could have a slice. Thank you for sharing!

4. says

We have just started an elimination diet for my daughter's health issues and I am so glad to have found your site. We are going to make it through with a minimum of complaining! For now, though, she is restricted from corn as well. Any idea what would be a good substitute for cornmeal in this recipe? Thank you!

• Anonymous says

In my opinion, Sara's blend is much better. It seems I don't enjoy the garbanzo flour found in most blends. The texture is tough for me to get over. Sara's blend is really easy to make and store.

5. says

Just a note that I've made this substituting chia for flax (I can't have flax and I believe chai and flax are 1:1 interchangeable, so for this recipe 1/3 c chia plus 1/4 c chia). I've also made this using only chia seeds instead of ground chia and it worked perfectly.

6. says

I just discovered this recipe about two months ago. We had been using a farm bread recipe that used psyllium (I didn't compare ingredients to your bread with psyllium), and for a gluten-free, vegan bread, it was okay. This recipe is AWESOME! My only substitution was So Delicious unsweetened plain almond milk for the coconut milk. I make rolls (which my gluten-free, vegan son prefers) using a Whoopie pie pan and a few custard dishes (it makes 15 75g-78g raw rolls @ about 170 calories). They are so close to gluten multi-grain rolls, readers won't believe it. They have a crunchy outside and a moist (NOT gummy) inside. And, they are good the next day and the next day–very unusual for gluten-free breads. I freeze bags of 4, but each bag may be in the fridge for a week before all have been eaten. He just finished the last of the first batch and had to repeat, "these rolls are absolutely amazing!" My second batch is rising and all looks good. I think this batch will be identical (sometimes second and third attempts are not). Thank you so much for creating this awesome recipe and then for sharing it with us.