You can never have too many cupcake recipes. A good, basic vanilla cupcake recipe and a chocolatey, chocolate one are both a must. I’m sharing my most favorite chocolate cupcake with chocolate buttercream recipe today. It’s also my third and final recipe entered into the Go Dairy Free and So Delicious recipe contest. I’m hoping this will be the winner! I mean, who doesn’t like a moist, delicious cupcake? And it’s a CHOCOLATE cupcake too!
gluten free vegan chocolate cupcakes
makes 14 cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups Sarah’s gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup So Delicious Dairy Free unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sunflower seed oil (or mild flavor oil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
chocolate dairy free buttercream
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons organic non-hydrogenated shortening
- 2 3/4 cups organic powdered sugar, sifted
- 3/4 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 4-6 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free coconut milk coffee creamer
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper cupcake liners. Sift together flour blend, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In large mixing bowl, stir together coconut milk, water and vinegar. Allow to sit for 1 minute to curdle. Add sugar, oil, and vanilla extract. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture. Beat for 1 minute. The batter will become smooth and start to thicken. Pour batter into prepared cupcake pan. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Place cupcakes on cooling rack and cool completely.
To make buttercream, beat together the Earth Balance with shortening for 1 minute in large bowl of standing mixer. Add sifted powdered sugar, cocoa powder, 4 tablespoons coffee creamer and vanilla. Beat for an additional 2 minutes. Add another tablespoon or 2 of the coffee creamer as needed. Continue to beat buttercream until light and fluffy. Place in piping bag with large star tip and frost cooled cupcakes. Best enjoyed within 1-2 days (if they last that long).