Gluten free vegan chocolate snowflake cookies. Decorated with a simple glaze and a sprinkling of sparkling sugar. Such a beautiful, magical Christmas cookie!
I feel like I never stop baking in December. Creating new recipes for the blog, reminiscing by baking my grandma’s Christmas cookie recipes, making treats to mail to family in the midwest. I don’t mind being in the kitchen for hours and hours, baking my little heart out. Puts me in the Christmas spirit!
One recipe I wanted to create this whole month are these gluten free vegan chocolate snowflake sugar cookies. I envisioned a giant chocolate snowflake cookie, decorated with a simple snowflake design and a sprinkling of white sparkling sugar. These cookies came out just the way I had imagined. Oh how I love when that happen.
I used this snowflake cookie cutter for my snowflake cookies. I really like the big metal cooke cutters with the grips. So much easier to work with! This chocolate sugar cookie dough is also a dream to work with, as it’s so easy to roll out. My kids were helping me role it out and were calling it “chocolate play dough,” as they couldn’t stop eating it.
A plate of these gluten free vegan chocolate snowflake sugar cookies is like a winter wonderland!
- 1 3/4 cups Sarah's gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup refined coconut oil, soft*
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk
- white sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour blend, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat together powdered sugar, coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla until creamy. Add flour mixture and continue to mix until combined, 1-2 minutes.
- Split the dough into two patties and wrap each one in plastic wrap. Let dough rest in refridgerator for 15-30 minutes.
- On counter, lay out large piece of plastic wrap. Place cookie dough in the center and top with another piece of plastic wrap. Roll with rolling pin until dough is about 1/4" thick. You don't want it too thin.
- Cut dough into snowflakes using snowflake cookie cutter, such as this one. Place cookies on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake cookies for 9-12 minutes, centers still soft. Remove cookies from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, make simple glaze for cookies. Whisk together powdered sugar and coconut milk until smooth.
- Pour glaze into piping bag with small round tip or ziplock bag, just cutting the tip. Pipe onto cookies, in desired snowflake pattern. Immediately sprinkling on sparkling sugar.
- Let cookies set 1-2 hours, for glaze to harden. Store cookies in airtight container.
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase items through some of these links, I earn a small commission off the sale at no extra cost to you. Helps keeps the recipes coming and the blog up and running!