I like to call sugar cookies “celebration cookies”. We make them at Christmas time, at Easter too, even for birthdays. They are like a blank canvas for whatever the holiday may be. They are also a kid favorite because they are usually covered in frosting and sprinkles!
When it comes to being creative in the kitchen, I love taking something original (like a cutout sugar cookie) and changing it into something new. With a little pumpkin puree and spices, I’ve come up with a gluten free vegan pumpkin cutout cookie. It has the softest texture ever and is just about the cutest fall cookie you ever did see!
I can’t decided if I like these pumpkin cutout cookies better with or without frosting. Without frosting, they are perfect for dipping in my cup of coffee. With frosting, they get both my husband’s and kid’s vote. Either way, these pumpkin cutout cookies are just what you need to serve at your halloween or fall party this year. Put out some toppings (sprinkles, mini chocolate chips), a bowl of the vanilla frosting and you’ve got a pumpkin cookie bar. Fun times for all!
- 2 1/4 cups Sarah's gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup powdered cane sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons So Delicious unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 2-3 tablespoons So Delicious unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In medium bowl, sift together flour blend, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat together powdered sugar, brown sugar, coconut oil, pumpkin, coconut milk and vanilla until creamy. Add flour mixture and continue to mix until combined, 1-2 minutes.
- Form dough into patty and wrap in plastic wrap. Let rest in refridgerator for 1-2 hours, until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On counter, lay out large piece of plastic wrap. Place cookie dough in the center and top with another piece of plastic wrap.
- Roll with rolling pin until dough is about 1/4" thick. Cut dough into pumpkin shape using pumpkin cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make vanilla frosting, beat together powdered sugar, vegan butter, coconut milk and vanilla. Add additional coconut milk until desired consistency is reached. Frost cooled cookies.