I wouldn’t say I’m an avid coffee drinker. Sometimes I drink a cup in the morning, but it’s always decaf because my body isn’t a fan of lots of caffeine. I just LOVE the flavor, aroma and taste of a good cup of coffee. I can remember even loving the taste when my mom would let me have a sip of hers. I started ordering mochas in high school at our local coffee shop (pre-starbucks days). I was hooked.
I think the reason mocha’s became my first coffee favorite was HELLO, coffee and chocolate! Pretty much the best two things you can put together. It’s like they were meant for each other. I have many friends that agree so these cupcakes are one of my most requested recipes. I can’t believe I’ve waited until now to share them with you!
Start with my chocolate cupcake recipe (can’t go wrong). Whip up a batch of my dairy free coffee buttercream and blend in some finely grated dark chocolate, such as Pascha. Yeah, it’s amazing. The combination of the moist chocolate cake with that frosting is just too much. Too much goodness. Even my husband who isn’t a coffee drinker adores these cupcakes. Please say you’ll join the “these are the best cupcakes EVER” team!
- 1 1/4 cups Sarah's gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup So Delicious Dairy Free unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sunflower seed or organic canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 cup organic non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-4 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free coconut milk coffee creamer
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 2 ounces dairy free dark chocolate, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
- Sift together flour blend, cocoa powder, cane sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In small bowl, stir together coconut milk, water and vinegar. Add oil and vanilla extract. Slowly add to flour mixture. Beat for 1 minute until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared cupcake pan. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Place cupcakes on cooling rack and cool completely.
- To make buttercream, beat together vegan butter with shortening for 1 minute in large bowl of standing mixer.
- In small bowl, dissolve espresso powder in 2 tablespoons coffee creamer. Add to mixing bowl, along with powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat for an additional 2 minutes. Add another tablespoon of coffee creamer as needed. Beat buttercream until light and fluffy.
- Mix in grated dark chocolate (I just grated bar chocolate using a cheese grater). Place buttercream in piping bag with large star tip and frost cooled cupcakes. Best enjoyed within 1-2 days.